MY NEW BLOG!

Effective April 1, my NEW blog website is:
http://watchwithwes.blogspot.com/

Hope you enjoy!

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Joyful Noise - C-

Rated PG-13, 118 minutes

I will admit upfront that I'm not a huge fan of movie musicals. On top of that, add a January release date and you may smell something icky in the air, which is how I felt about seeing the new movie musical, "Joyful Noise." Given my low expectations, I was pleasantly surprised and entertained by the film that stars Queen Latifah and country music star Dolly Parton. The story, wholesome themes and characters are formulaic and cliched, at best, but the two leads make for a charming pair. And of course, the music and soundtrack, clearly the best thing about the film, is a winner. "Joyful Noise" goes on far too long with too many unnecessary subplots, but don't deny yourself that foot tap during the musical numbers. Also, watch for a cameo from Kris Kristofferson (yes, you read that right) that manages to be both bizarre and corny. Buy the soundtrack and skip the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment